Five-year NS partnership extension to upgrade WiFi and PIS

(Newcastle Upon Tyne, 11 February 2016) Nomad Digital, the world’s leading provider of wireless connectivity and ICT solutions to the rail sector, has recently signed a contract with Nederlandse Spoorwegen (NS), which will see it provide the Netherlands’ busiest trains with on-board WiFi connectivity and Passenger Information Services (PIS). The agreement confirms the Netherlands as home to one of the largest fleets of trains with high-volume WiFi and integrated PIS anywhere in the world. 

Nomad Digital has extended its existing partnership with NS, the leading passenger railway operator in the Netherlands, for an additional five years. The new framework agreement sets out the general terms and conditions for working together, and will allow NS to upgrade its on-board technology platform on the Intercity trains already using Nomad Digital systems. This will deliver a common on-board technology platform across the NS fleet.

Jean-Philippe Tissot, General Manager of Nomad Digital, EMEAI, said: “For the last five years we have worked with NS to provide first-class, on-board technology services and information to Dutch passengers.  This new agreement is testament to our ability to support NS in delivering cutting-edge passenger services in a consistent fashion, and we are thrilled to remain the partner of choice for NS to implement the next steps of their vision of the Networked Train."

Andrew Taylor, CEO of Nomad Digital, said: “NS is recognised for its investment in innovative services, and we are delighted to be extending our relationship with them. Our partnership enables us to work together to develop pioneering solutions to improve the customer experience and journey.”

For more information please contact:

Nomad Digital

Andrew Taylor, CEO
+44 (0) 20 7096 6966

David Bootle, Marketing Communications Manager
+44 (0) 20 7096 6966


Eric Trinthamer

About Nomad Digital

Nomad Digital is the world’s leading provider of wireless connectivity and ICT solutions to the rail sector and is a pioneer of fleet digitisation. It boasts a rich suite of passenger and operational applications and services, which enables operators to significantly enhance the passenger experience, while delivering improved levels of reliability, safety and operational efficiencies.

Nomad’s solutions include its market-leading connectivity and WiFi suite of products and services, Passenger Information Systems (PIS), on-board entertainment platforms and Remote Online Condition Monitoring (ROCM) and Reliability Centred Maintenance (RCM) methodologies.

Nomad is an international business, with over 300 employees and product development facilities in the UK (Newcastle), Germany (Hildesheim) and Portugal (Porto).

Founded in 2002 in the North East of England, the company has grown consistently as an innovative market leader providing products, services and solutions directly or indirectly to more than 50 major global customers, including names such as Alstom, Bombardier and Hitachi and leading train operating companies (TOCs) such as Amtrak, Eurostar, GWR, NS, NSB, PKP, Queensland Rail, Virgin and Via Rail.

In the UK, Nomad’s passenger WiFi services are deployed on 75% of all WiFi connected trains and its position as a global player is borne out by a 47% market share of connected (WiFi enabled) vehicles in the international rail sector.

In 2015 Nomad Digital generated revenues of £42.7m, up 47% year on year, and invested £4m in R&D across the business. 76% of revenues came from large implementation projects, with the remaining 24% from recurring software licence, and support and maintenance contracts.

About NS

NS operates in the public transport sector. It provides reliable passenger transport, comfortable trains and buses, lively stations and station areas and a range of services for a pleasant journey from door to door. Its 28,500 employees put their combined efforts into a single mission: making passengers feel connected by NS. The operations of NS cover both passenger transport and station development and operation, with combined revenues of €4.1 billion. More than 86% of that comes from passenger transport.
The oldest predecessor of NS, HIJSM, was founded in 1837. NS has therefore been contributing to mobility and progress in the Netherlands for over 175 years. The company still plays a very significant social role in its domestic market. Over the past 12 years, NS has been accumulating an increasing share of rail transport in other European countries through its subsidiary Abellio.

Five-year NS partnership extension to upgrade WiFi and PIS image