Nomad Digital WiFi solution installed on 172-strong South West Trains fleet

(Newcastle upon Tyne, UK, 10 March 2016) Nomad Digital, the world’s leading provider of wireless connectivity and ICT solutions to the rail sector, is delighted to announce the successful installation of passenger WiFi systems across South West Trains’ Class 450 trains.

Nomad Digital has now installed passenger WiFi on 127 Class 450 trains. This successful installation follows the work completed in 2014 to introduce free WiFi to 45 Class 444 ‘Desiro’ trains.

Free WiFi is now available on more than half of all South West Trains services, equating to 5,545 train services per week.

Andrew Taylor, Nomad Digital CEO, said: “We are delighted to be partnering with South West Trains to deliver WiFi to their customers. Passengers are increasingly using their travel time to work and get online, and we are committed to developing market-leading, innovative solutions to meet this growing demand.”

Christian Roth, Managing Director for South West Trains, said: “Over half of our train services now offer completely free WiFi. This is fantastic news for the tens of thousands of passengers who will enjoy the greater connectivity which will make it easier to work, catch up with the latest news or keep in touch with friends while travelling on one of Europe’s busiest railways.

“More passengers are travelling with us than ever before and now more than half a million journeys are made on our services every day. We are investing millions of pounds to provide extra carriages, improved facilities and better stations to improve journeys for passengers and we’re confident the continued expansion of our free WiFi will be a further boost.”

Nomad’s networked train solution also allows train operators the opportunity to add future applications such as CCTV services for passenger safety, journey-time information and updates, and Driver Advisory Systems, which alert the driver to live issues on the track. In addition, energy metering systems allow trains to run more efficiently, reducing operational costs. 

For more information please contact:

Nomad Digital

David Bootle, Marketing Communications Manager 
+44 207 096 6966 Ext. 2144                  
About Nomad Digital

Nomad Digital is the world’s leading provider of wireless connectivity and ICT solutions to the transportation sector and is a pioneer of fleet digitisation. It boasts a rich suite of passenger and operational applications and services, which enables operators to significantly enhance the passenger experience, while delivering improved levels of reliability, safety and operational efficiencies.

Nomad’s solutions include its market leading Connectivity and WiFi suite of products and services, Passenger Information Systems (PIS), on-board entertainment platforms and Remote Online Condition Monitoring (ROCM) and Reliability Centred Maintenance (RCM) methodologies.

Nomad is an international business, with over 300 employees and product development facilities in the UK (Newcastle), Germany (Hildesheim) and Portugal (Porto).

Founded in 2002 in the North East of England, the company has grown consistently as an innovative market leader providing products and services and solutions directly or indirectly to more than 50 major global customers, including names such as Alstom, Bombardier and Hitachi and leading train operating companies (TOCs) such as Amtrak, Eurostar, GWR, NS, NSB, PKP, Queensland Rail, Virgin and Via Rail.

In the UK, Nomad’s passenger WiFi services are deployed on 75% of all WiFi connected trains and its position as a global player is borne out by a 47% market share of connected (WiFi enabled) vehicles in the international rail sector.

In 2015 Nomad Digital generated revenues of £42.7m, up 47% year on year, and invested £4m in R&D across the business. 76% of revenues came from large implementation projects, with the remaining 24% from recurring software licence and support and maintenance contracts.

About South West Trains

South West Trains is one of Europe's busiest commuter train operators, running around 1700 trains a day out of London Waterloo covering routes through Hampshire, Surrey, Dorset, Wiltshire, Berkshire, Devon, Somerset, Cornwall and Great London, serving a mixture of commuters and longer-distance travellers.

More than half a million passengers use South West Trains services every day.

Island Line services on the Isle of Wight are also operated by South West Trains.


Nomad Digital WiFi solution installed on 172-strong South West Trains fleet image